7 1 8
With the holiday break coming up, I wanted to share with you how I stay organized when packing for a family trip. There is always so much to remember and as Moms, we are usually the ones responsible for packing for the kids too. It can get really overwhelming when trying to remember everything. A few months ago, we took a trip to New York City and we made a YouTube video of how we packed for our trip. You can watch it here and also see some of the looks we put together.
The app you need now!
I use the Evernote App to stay organized for everything, not just travel. This app is life-changing! I have so many different notes and notebooks to stay organized in life. I seriously love this app (and this is no paid ad or collaboration whatsoever!) I only have the free version, but it’s been great for the past several years now. In the video, I show the template I created to make sure I remember everything I need when packing for the kids. You can check it out here. It’s a super simple checklist, but it works!
During the days leading up to the trip, as I remember things to pack, I just jot it down in the note I created for packing. I actually have a notebook within the app labeled “Travel”. My “Packing” note is nested under that notebook. Other notes under the Travel notebook include any travel information I have, any recommendations I get, I even keep track of rooms we like at our favorite hotels, restaurants we want to try, people’s names who have helped us, etc. It’s really easy to take a picture and include links within the notes too.
I also sometimes make itineraries for our trips and use the Evernote app. I like the desktop version too and the fact that it syncs seamlessly with the mobile app.
So using the Evernote app is my #1 tip for staying organized!
Some other packing tips:
- Make a list of the activities during your trip and plan your outfits accordingly.
- Pack the complete outfits in piles so they are easy for the kids to grab out of the suitcase. (I’d love to eventually invest in packing cubes for the kids too.)
- Label the outfits by day using sticky notes (as seen in the photo above).
- If you’ve purchased new clothes for your kids, make sure they try them on before the trip (like we did in the video); you don’t want to be away and realize that something doesn’t feel good on them or fit right.
- Try to keep all of the outfits matching to one or two pairs of shoes to save space.
- Have all the laundry done and put away first so you know where everything is while you’re packing.
- Have a checklist to go off of to be sure you’re packing what you need- not overpacking and not forgetting anything.
- Pack ahead of time! Waiting until the night before will add additional stress to the process, especially when you’re responsible for packing for multiple people.
Let me know in the comments below any tips you have for packing for your families. I’d love to hear what works for you!
Shop Our Looks!
(click the arrows to see all the items)
This post contains affiliate links. All opinions expressed are 100% my own. For more information on our disclosure policy, click here.